Anyone who has met Harry Heissmann is enchanted by his ready smile, European charm and sparkling wit. And anyone who has seen his work loves him for his warm and inviting interiors which combine elegance and practicality with a sense of joie de vivre.
For over a decade, Harry has been developing his unique style with some of the best designers in New York including Jeffrey Bilhuber, Juan Pablo Molyneux and of course, Albert Hadley. His rooms have graced the pages of The New York Times, Metropolitan Home and most recently, House Beautiful.
When we decided to write a monthly column featuring some of our favorite designers, Harry immediately came to mind (and he was a willing subject, no less!) We hope you enjoy this first of many installments!
1. What did you want to be when you were a child?
A marine biologist
2. What is your necessary luxury?
Quiet and peace
3. What is your favorite decorating accessory?
4. Where do you window shop?
5. What makes a house a home?
The people in it
6. What is the most enjoyable part of your day?
5:15 am at the gym
7. What is you favorite flower?
Pink lily of the valley
8. If you were a cocktail, what would you be?
9. If your life were made into a movie, what would be the title and who would play your part?
“Selling Smiles, Beauty and Positive Energy” and my clone would play me
10. Name one thing from your “Bucket List”
Owning a cottage by the sea
Thank you, Harry, for your inspirational designs and wonderful sense of humor!
Photos from Harry Heissmann and Christopher Baker for House Beautiful.